City of Lights

on Saturday, March 21, 2009


Today was full of great experiences. I started by going to the Place du Tertre. It's a great neighborhood, in an old square, at the top of some pretty steep streets, where you will find a bunch of local artists. Some are just selling prints, some are selling their paintings- painting more while you are there, and some will sketch you or a photo if you like. Prices are pretty high but you can bargain for better prices. I was able to buy a little painting there. In fact, it's still drying. That'll be interesting to get home. Also, from up there you can get some great views of Paris.

Street leading up to the Place du Terte

Place du Tertre Artist- It was hard to get a good picture because it was so crowded

Place du Tertre Neighborhood

Place du Tertre Neighborhood
I saw the Arc de Triomphe yesterday but it was towards the end of my sight-seeing. I went back today and went to the top. It took me a while to figure out how to get to it. It is placed in the center of a very busy round-a-bout. After almost circling it I found the sign for an underground passage. That's a good thing because I was just about to try and cross the round-a-bout. I feel like that would have led to a very different post. Ha.
I climbed a lot of stairs but it was worth it. The views of Paris were awesome. It also contained a room where you can learn more about the Arc.
The Stairs to the top of the Arc

The view of Paris

On top of the Arc

The round-a-bout

I knew I had passed the Moulin Rouge on the way to my hotel the first day so I went back for a picture. Supposedly it has the best can-can. I'm not even sure what that is but the windmill is cool...

Tonight I went to see the Eiffel Tower lit up. Paris is cool during the day but it is really cool at night. At night, every hour on the hour, blinking lights appear all over the Eiffel Tower and it last for about 5-10 mins. My pictures really didn't do it justice.
Before

After
Tomorrow I'll take a train back to London. I'm looking forward to the train trip. I think it'll travel under the English Channel. Anyway, I'll stay in London tomorrow night and fly back to Birmingham Monday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience! I have looked forward to your updates on a daily basis. I have thoroughly enjoyed the pictures. I am so proud of you! Safe journey home. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Glad you have had this experience and thanks for all the updates.Be careful and have a safe trip home.Call when you get back to the good ole USA.

Dad