on Wednesday, March 18, 2009


Guinness is HUGE here. There are signs advertising the sell of it everywhere. So, it's probably not a huge shock to find out that it originated in Dublin. There is a Guinness Storehouse, seven story, visitors center that is a big tourist attraction. It used to be a fermentation plant until it was turned into a visitors center and is actually designed in the shape of a Guinness pint- on the inside.

So, even though I'm not a huge beer drinker, and even at that, I have never really enjoyed Guinness, I thought, when in Rome... It was a really interesting experience. There are seven stories in the Storehouse and you follow a series of signs and videos explaining the history and process of making Guinness.

I vaguely caught the information about how our ticket could be redeemed at the end of the tour for a pint of Guinness so when I reached a room where they were pouring small glasses about half full, I assumed that this was our glass. So I drank it. That's about the time I was informed that this was the 'tasting room'. So the tour continued until finally I reached the seventh floor- The Gravity Bar. It was really cool. Almost 360 degree window views of the city. This was also the place where you redeem your ticket for your pint of Guinness . So I did. And I drank my pint and made small talk with some other people on the tour. And then I realized; it's 11:00 and I'm starting to get a buzz... I started not to share but I figured this was part of my experience so it's fair game. And I still don't enjoy Guinness.



After the Guinness Storehouse I continued sight-seeing. Below are some places I saw.
A fountain in St. James Park
ChristChurch Cathedral- One of two medieval cathedrals in Dublin
Inside ChristChurch Cathedral
Entrance to Dublin Castle
Dublin Castle Courtyard
The River Liffey
Dublin is a really cool town to walk around. Lot's of really cool streets paved with cobblestone and lined with interesting shops and pubs.


The statue of Molly Malone. A famous figure of Dublin. She is even a part of the song 'Cockles and Mussels' which has sort of become the unofficial anthem of Dublin.

St. Patrick Cathedral
St. Patrick's Park
I fly out to Paris tomorrow around lunch. I really wish I had one more day here to go see the Irish countryside. Next time.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

Glad you had fun in Dublin. Am i ready to see pictures of Paris?? WE WE!! Is that the proper spelling? You will have to tell me. :)

The Carters said...

Ok - I am flat out jealous!!! I thought that living vicariously through your travels would be fun but turns out it is just depressing. HA! Have you found a Pizza Hut yet? :)

Anonymous said...

it's oui oui Whitney.
nice try :)

Cile said...

Kylie told me just last night that the Guiness tour was a must see, so I am glad that you were able to do it! The cobblestone streets alone would have sold me on Dublin, but all the rest looks pretty cool too. Here's to a smooth trip into France...oui, oui!