Ello London!

on Friday, March 13, 2009



I’m here, finally! It was a long day of travel but I arrived in London at 6:30am today. I think the flight over took less than six hours which was pretty good. I was comfortable on the flight but couldn’t seem to sleep for too long at a time. Luckily, the plane had OnDemand movies, music, tv, and games for free.

After a wait at customs I was free to travel. I had studied my London travel guide on the plane and thought I had an idea where my hotel- The Shaftesbury Metropolis, Hyde Park- was but honestly it was a wing and a prayer that I bought the right ticket, took the right train, and walked pretty much directly to my hotel. I was pretty pleased with myself. That’s about the time I got the news; the boiler had gone out in the hotel and it “might” be fixed by this afternoon or I “might” be without hot water for a couple of days… really?

Everything worked out well. They put me up in a sister hotel- The Shaftesbury Paddington Court- less than a five minute walk away. Check-in wasn’t until 2 so I checked what little luggage I have in at the hotel and did a little sight-seeing. I walked what feels like most of London but the most notable things I saw were Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park (5 minutes max from my hotel), St. James Palace, and tons of statues and parks.


My Luggage

My Hotel


Everything is kind of how I expected London to be… You know, funny old school taxi’s, red phone booths, tons of art and history but it’s surreal to be here. I’ve also caught myself practicing phrases I hear people saying to see if I can get the accent down. For example, Buut ef I get the feesh and cheeps fo lunch I woon’t wont anything lata, or something like that. Obviously, I didn’t really pick it up.

I’m calling it an early night tonight to get some sleep. Cherrio.

Carnaby Street

I fountain I passed on the way to Buckingham Palace

St. James Park next to Buckingham

Statue in front of Buckingham Palace

Buckingham Palace

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Yea! I'm glad you made it safely. Have so much fun. Don't forget to go see Big Ben while you are in London.

Whitney said...

Wow. Sounds like a day. I will have to say I am feeling a little jealous. That isn't something i am used to since I got all the looks, body, brains, and obviously the fertility. Come home so I don't have to continue to feel this way. :) HA! Make sure you get a good picture of Big Ben, it would make great art for Ben's room.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, and wish I had a bit of your adventurous nature! Perhaps I can learn a lesson or two from you. Enjoy your travels. Stay safe and have fun!

Unknown said...

Meant to warn you. Hot showers are a commodity over there. Elton John called me and told me he's proud of your blogging and keep it up!